8.21.2010

curiosities

Cabinets of natural curiosities date back to 1500. They began in the courts of Italian princes. Essentially, they were collections, displayed in cabinets, of interesting specimens found in nature- insects, plants, bones, seashells, even monstrosities like multi-headed creatures. I just got done browsing the travels and discoveries of Joanna Ebenstein on her flickr and she has some amazing photos (seen above) of the lovely displays in the Biblioteque Centrale du Museum National d'Histiore Naturelle in Paris. I'm debating using my entire savings to buy a plane ticket right NOW! Dilema is- there are even more really great photos of other creepy, cool museums she's been in and I don't know where to start. I do know, my collection of specimens will be snatched from around the house and united in a rustic wooden cabinet very soon. Wish I could have bought that illegal, ferociously clawed turkey foot at the flea market today. Check our ETSY store soon to get your hands on one of the many antique crates (some with dividers) I picked up today that will be perfect for your very own cabinet of curiosities! 

No comments:

Post a Comment